Thursday, February 13, 2014

Faithbook - by Tammy Bowman

If you have been on Facebook over the past two weeks, you have surely seen the Facebook Movies popping up all over. People seem to have very different opinions on the movies ranging from loving them to hating them. I started off being very annoyed with all the videos then something changed when I saw my own Facebook movie. Facebook did a wonderful job summing up my Facebook life and it was emotional seeing some of my statuses and my photos. That changed my attitude from being annoyed to really enjoying my friends’ movies. I realized that my friends probably felt the same way and that is why they chose to share it.

Now, I fully realize that my FB movie doesn’t sum up my actually life over the past 7 years but it did capture the things that I love….my husband, my kids, my family,  my job, running & my faith. It captured these things so well because that is what I like to share on FB. It also made me aware of what my ‘friends’ see when they view my posts and how what they see will make them form an opinion of me.

So what is that opinion that people form about me based on my Facebook posts? It’s kinda scary to think about! My hope is that my “Facebook Movie” matches up quite well with my “Faithbook Movie.” What I mean by my “Faithbook Movie” is that if somehow I were able to view my faith over the past 7 years in a 1 minute movie – preferably with a Jamie Grace song playing in the background- what would it look like?

Over the past 7 years (and I’m saying 7 years because that’s when I joined the FB world) have I really followed Jesus and the Great Commandment?

Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”                           Matthew 23:34-40

I’m far from perfect in keeping these two commandments, but I do believe that I’ve come a long way in keeping these at the forefront in my life. I love it when God uses something like FB to turn my eyes towards Him.

2 comments:

  1. Faithbook Movie! Perfect! It's definitely something to keep in mind as we make decisions about what to share with the world. What do our statuses say about our faith? Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two things - First of all, is it sad that I have no idea what these Facebook movies are that you speak of?? Ha!! Second...since I clearly don't have a FB movie myself (at least, not that I know of), I still wanted to thank you for reminding me that we all have a "Faithbook movie" and at the end of the day, my actions and decisions determine what the content of that movie looks like.

    ReplyDelete