Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Good Teaching is Key - by Diane Lantzy

A frequent criticism leveled against ‘the church’ is that all ‘the church’ wants is your money.  I have heard that more times than I can count as I am sure you have too.  While the church can fulfill its mission only to the extent to which the church family is generous….this is not what a healthy church ‘wants’.  It wants to grow disciples who can help transform the world. 

And one of the ways that God wants all of us to grow is in our stewardship – whether it is of our time, talents, or finances.  But He considered our attitudes toward money so critical that money is mentioned more than any other topic in the Bible.   Unfortunately, many pastors shy away from teaching about this important topic because they don’t want to be accused of only talking about money…even if they only do it once or twice a year!  How sad for people in these church families who are denied this important teaching.  We all want to hear when we go to heaven…’well done, good and faithful servant.’  But how can we know what is expected if no one teaches us?
For that reason, we are so fortunate that Pastor Rod is willing to teach on this subject during his messages.  And I pray that when these messages are offered that we can all listen with open hearts and open minds.  I know that when I hear messages that convict me – as ones on finances often do – my first reaction is either defensive (this really doesn’t apply to me….right???) or avoidance (starting to make up that grocery list in my mind).  But neither of those reactions helps me to grow.  Instead, I need to listen, take some notes (I didn’t have to do that twenty years ago L) and spend some time meditating on what changes I can make that will be pleasing to God. 

The current teaching series “Core” addresses many important issues including Worship, on March 9th Extravagant Generosity on March 16th, Discipleship on March 30th and Service on April 6th.
As a preacher, Pastor Rod understands that teaching on subjects that can sometimes be uncomfortable is an expectation that God has for him.  God’s expectation for us is that we listen with an open heart so that we can begin to discern what God’s will is for us.

“Not many of you should become teachers, my fellow believers, because you know that we who teach will be judged more strictly.”  James 3:1

No comments:

Post a Comment