Friday, April 18, 2014

New Member, Better Family - by Amanda VanKuiken

So here I am, laying in the dark. It’s late, really late, and I should be sleeping. But I can’t, because I have pregnancy brain and my mind is running wild. I’m 36 weeks pregnant this week, and while I know I should be resting in preparation for what will certainly be several restless months ahead of me, I can’t sleep. I can’t stop thinking about all the things I need to do to prepare before this new little person makes its grand debut. I have its room all ready (yes, I called it an “it” because that’s what it is! We don’t know if it’s a boy or a girl, so please --- will everyone stop asking me that same question already!  J If it makes you feel better, you can call it Bill. I don’t know why, that’s just what we’ve been calling it. And no we did not nickname it after Bill Schmidt, that was total coincidence, although I do hope my child has half the energy and vigor and Christ-like spirit that he does, what a great guy! ) Anyways, I digress.

Bill’s room is all ready, things are as ready as they’ll ever be I suppose; so tonight I find my mind wandering to another topic of uncertainty. How will Bill change our family dynamics?  I have to admit, we have a pretty awesome little family right now. I am quite content with the three of us. In fact, I can’t imagine anything better.  Funny, because I would’ve said that same thing 3 years ago when I was first married, before our daughter came into the picture. Brent and I had the perfect family.  We traveled. We didn’t spend any money on ridiculous things (like diapers, of course). We actually SLEPT PAST 6 AM ON A WEEKEND!!! Are you kidding me? Why would we want anything different? It was just us two and we didn’t need anything more – we were very happy with ourselves. And then little Hailey Joann came along and we realized that there was much more God had in store for our family. She brought more love and life to our home, more than we thought we needed or thought was possible.
I know this is going to happen all over again when Bill comes. That’s why I can’t sleep. I can’t stop thinking about all that I can give to him/her to make them happy and comfortable in this home. But beyond that, I revel in the thought of all the love and joy that “Bill” will bring to us.

This second time around, I am blessed to have the anticipation of knowing that a new family member will make us a better family. It’s an exciting concept, a true blessing.  Something I admit being naïve to before.
What about us though, Redeemer? We are a pretty awesome family. We do some pretty amazing things right now. Food pantry, mission trips, children’s ministries, the list goes on and on and on. But should we be content? Easter Sunday is almost here, and that will certainly mean NEW people coming to worship with our family. Let us prepare in excitement and anticipation for what a new person to our church might mean. Like I have prepared Bill’s room, let’s prepare for Easter Sunday with warm smiles and welcoming gestures. As you greet an unfamiliar face this weekend, let your imagination be filled with the possibilities of what this person could bring to our church family – as I have learned with my own daughter, it is certainly something far better than we ourselves could ever predict. In short, be hospitable to any new person you might encounter this weekend.

Oh yes, and don’t forget to ask them what their name is…just don’t be surprised if they respond with, “Bill.”

No comments:

Post a Comment