Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Random Acts of Kindness - by Pastor Rod

Last week Jan and I were in Holland/Zeeland visiting our grandson (and his parents).  It was Evan’s 4th birthday – and we were helping with preparations for the party.  On Friday morning I went to the local Starbucks to get my morning coffee…and ordered my usual.  As I drove up to the window, the person inside said:  “Your coffee was paid for by the person two cars in front of you.  Have a nice day!”

I have been the recipient of such random acts of kindness before – just recently someone paid for Jan and my meal at a local restaurant.  I have also done such a kindness before – “paying it forward”, as it were - at a toll booth or at the grocery store.  And when I’m able to do that I’m always reminded how good giving without expecting something in return feels.  I’m equally amazed at how shocked some people are that someone would be generous and I’ve actually had people try to refuse the offer as if their acceptance will obligate them in some way.
Giving of our resources is a serious matter; but it’s also a practice that brings inexpressible joy and blessing when done in the right spirit.  As Jesus said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.”  And, as the Apostle Paul wrote in a letter to the Corinthians, “God loves a cheerful giver.”

Giving is at the heart of the Christian life, at the heart of the Gospel, and at the heart of God.  “For God so loved the world that He GAVE His one and only Son…”  God is the infinite and perfect Giver:  giving is integral to who He is.  And because giving is inherent in God’s character, when we give we identify with Him and we reflect His likeness.
I like being around people who are generous. I watched a friend, one Sunday at a restaurant, quietly pay the server for the meal of a World War 2 veteran and his wife seated nearby – not because he knew them – but because he wanted to honor this veteran for his service to our nation.

Years ago I came to the conclusion that giving is a great paradox:  I have the privilege of giving, and I get the benefit and blessing of giving; but what I am giving is not actually mine – it belongs to God.  Accepting the paradox gives me freedom to be a faithful and generous giver.
We are sent into our world in the same way that Jesus sent His disciples out to declare the Gospel message, reminding them “Freely you have received, freely give.”

Have you tried giving extravagantly?  Have you tried giving without expecting something in return?  I’d like to hear your stories of “paying it forward.”

No comments:

Post a Comment