Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Treasure - by Diane Lantzy

One of my favorite past times is reading - which isn’t much of a surprise to anyone who knows me.  Recently, I finished a historical fiction book that looked like an easy read but not one that I had high expectations for. It was an older book that I had picked up off the used book cart in Pages & Prayers Bookstore here at Redeemer. (And if you have never checked out the used book cart at Pages & Prayers there are bargains galore– there is a large selection of books, many for just a dollar or two!)

But as I was reading this book, I realized that what I was reading was simply a delight!  This book took place during a critical time in US history, and had well-developed, interwoven characters that grew personally and spiritually – but not unrealistically - throughout the book.  When I finished this book a few days ago, I thought “this was an unexpected treasure!”

Then, during worship this past Sunday, Don Gerrerd, shared with us what International Justice Mission is doing for those who are trafficked.  During his message he referenced Matthew 13:44 “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.”  This verse just happened to use the same word ‘treasure’ that I had thought of as I had finished my book.  I had been pleased by the treasure I had found in this book but I was reminded of what the greatest treasure is of all.

God does provide us with many things to delight us, whether it is a good book, a day at the beach, an amazing sunset, time with friends, or many other things.  And I believe that God is pleased when we enjoy all that He has blessed us with.  But most of all, I believe that God is overjoyed when He sees that we truly understand that our greatest treasure is belonging to His Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment