Thursday, July 9, 2015

Portland Strong...Hanging on the Promises - by Ron Bekkering

What a crazy couple of weeks.  Haiti, VBS, a Tornado, The Fourth of July....As i arrvied home from Haiti and prepared myself for Vacation Bible School I was so happy with the number of people who promised to support me by praying for all that I have going on. Those events went off with no hitches and all that I felt was exhaustion, but don't we all.  I was beginning my ramp up for Christian Athletic Camp and Active Christian Training (counseling and deaning) when I was sitting at my desk figuring out paperwork when I got a call from a friend that said Portland had expereinced a Tornado and as many as 70 houses were damaged. They told me it started out by Friend Rd., now that wouldn't shock many of you, but when you live in Portland and Friend Rd. is less than half a mile from your house, you might get a little scared. I called my neighbor, he didn't answer. I worried...Called my other neighbor and he was driving in the sub division and said wait until he got in the drive. After walking around our houses, he informed me "your grill is moved." I was relieved and laughed. It wasn't in it's normal spot where he sees me grilling on a weekly basis all year long. What I want to tell you is that although our neighborhood was spared, many in Portland were not. It turned out to be a 50ft. wide 10 mile long runway of destruction. I know you've seen it on the news, through Facebook, and through Redeemer's efforts to help raise money for the Portland Church. The United Methodist Church in Portland lost the roof and the Baptist Church and Congregational Church were damaged even more. Over 80 houses and mulitple businesses were affected by the little funnel of wind that decided to set down in Portland. What I saw after that was Portland Strong. The community came together for clean up efforts, football teams stopped lifting to move downed trees, downtown was full of people, chainsaws, gloves, and trucks as we spent nights along the streets, in back yards, and businesses. This strong feeling was even more on display as the four (4) churches damaged joined together under the roof of a High School Auditiorium that became a Worship Center for our community. It was amazing to see! Baptists, Methodists, Wesleyans, and Congregationalists all came together for Community Worship Experience (and they will for the next four weeks scheduled). Isn't it neat that God doesn't care what we label ourselves. We are His sons and daughters when we believe in Jesus. It was an honor to be at the first joint service and I was shocked to see our Bishop Deb Kiesey there. it made me proud to be a United Methodist and a member of Redeemer United Methodist.

Thinking of my younger years; a song hit my brain during that community service and although we didn't sing it, I was still humming it all day Sunday. R. Kelso Carter penned these lyrics and music.

Standing on the promises that cannot fail, when the howling storms of doubt and fear assail, by the living Word of God I shall prevail, standing on the promises of God.
Standing, standing, standing on the promises of Christ my Savior; standing, standing, I'm standing on the promises of God.  (vs.2)

So no matter what storms hit us, we know that we can hold onto the Promises of God. Fear, Doubt, Tornados, or whatever we encounter we can know God is by our side. We have been fortunate to be hearing a great sermon series of being Set Free and last Sunday was a home run by Pastor Rod. Just breaking down those verses and promises that God has given made me feel even more confident that the Promises of God are Strong and we can Stand on them.

God Rocks and We Roll

No comments:

Post a Comment