Wednesday, January 13, 2016

The Best Advice You Never Heard - by Debby Kloosterman

Milton Erickson was a psychiatrist and therapist and an important innovator of psychotherapy techniques from the 1950’s through the 1970’s.  In the history of mental health treatment, he is not as famous as Sigmund Freud or Carl Jung, but Milton Erickson understood two key ideas that Jesus had used before him.

One of those ideas was the power of stories.  As people listen to a story, they can, “connect the dots” of the life lessons that they might not hear if they were conveyed as a series of “do’s and don’ts”.   Jesus used parables and metaphors to speak to people.  He knew that He needed to use what people understood to teach them about how to live and what God is like.

The second thing that Milton Erickson understood was the importance of serving others.  He once was asked to see a woman whose anxiety was so great that she couldn’t leave her house.  Upon entering her home, Erickson noticed a profusion of African violets.  Other clinicians had focused on discussing the woman’s fears, but Erickson chose to focus on an “action plan” that used the violets.  They were so beautiful that they needed to be shared with others outside of the woman’s home.  As the patient focused more and more on sharing the gift of her flowers, her anxiety became less and less.  She was able to leave her home and serve others. 

Serving others is a powerful tool.  It stretches our comfort zone.  It helps us to focus less on our own problems and become more selfless.  In short, it allows us to become more like Jesus.  If this sounds like an infomercial for outreach, it is!  Our church has many opportunities to serve both behind the scenes and in visible places.  Let us help you find a place to plug in!

 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36 I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’  Matthew 25: 35-36, 40 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment