Tuesday, June 7, 2016

A New Hope - by Justin Bowman

A New Hope

New beginnings are usually exciting.  The possibility of starting over, of starting something new, is often what keeps people going in life.  Many look for new beginnings in their working career, especially after doing the same thing for years on end.  This has been very true in my life recently.  I have applied for many, many positions over the years with my current employer.  I’ve been granted interviews for several of these positions.  Going into most of those interviews I knew I had close to no chance of getting the job, and very seldom did I think I had a legitimate shot. 
My most recent interview, about a month ago, I felt really good about.  After it was over I called my wife and told her I thought it went very well.  I spoke of how the three people interviewing me were very laid back, and seemed very down to earth and easy going.  My wife then asked me if I thought I would be offered the job, and I replied “probably not” but I was satisfied with the interview, nonetheless.  Fast forward three weeks later, when I got an email stating I was the chosen candidate for the position, and it was mine to accept, if I was still interested in pursuing it.  A feeling of accomplishment and great joy suddenly came over me.  Before I could bring myself to call my wife I had to settle my nerves.  I was very excited about the possibility of a new job, but at the same time I felt rather uneasy, even a little scared about the change that it would bring, even though I knew it would be good.

I have heard from many people over the years something along the lines of “it will happen when it’s meant to” or “your chance will come someday soon” and I got rather tired of hearing those phrases, because what it really meant was I had come up short again in my attempt at a new job.  This brings a Bible verse to mind.  Jeremiah 29:11 says “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” 
A couple hours after being offered the new position, I signed the form and accepted it.  The path I took in waiting years for this promotion to happen has revealed to me that God really does have a plan for each of us.  It may be filled with frustration along the way, but He does know what is best for us.  He has plans for all of us to prosper, but rest assured, along the way we will be presented with some tough lessons.  Many of which will include times of hardship, suffering, and maybe even some pain.  In the end, as I have learned, we must trust in the plan God has for us, and trust in Him, that he will always have what’s best for us in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment