Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Defining Moments - Sue Campbell

I like to spend quiet time reflecting while I’m digging in my gardens.  As one thought led to another, I started thinking about defining moments in my life – death of a parent, going to college, getting married, having kids, starting to work at Redeemer, etc.  That led me to question:  “just what is a defining moment?” 

Here are a couple of definitions:
·        an event that typifies or determines all subsequent related occurrences
·       a point at which the essential nature or character of a person, group,etc., is revealed or identified

Interesting…and better yet, here are some synonyms:
·         moment of truth
·         critical moment
·         turning point
·         point of no return

Wow – some of the defining moments in my life have been good while others have been bad.  But I don’t think I ever thought of any of them as a “point of no return!” 

However I am wondering how have I revealed my character during those times?  Could people tell that I’m a Christ-follower?  Was it apparent that I try to put my trust in God’s hands?  Did I show the Fruit of the Spirit – love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control? 

Hmmm…good questions…  

Because I have free will to make choices, I know there will be more defining moments in the future.  In preparation of them, I’m praying that God reminds me that the ultimate definition of me is that I am a child of His.  That there is never a point of no return to His open arms.  And that if I continue to trust and obey Him, and be in His Word, the Bible, I can use those defining moments to reflect His glory to others.   

No comments:

Post a Comment