Tuesday, October 11, 2016

By Faith - written by Kim Metzer

The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It’s our handle on what we can’t see. The act of faith is what distinguished our ancestors, set them above the crowd.

Hebrews 11:1-2 (The Message)
I’ve preached a message on faith four times over the last year in four different venues.  Each time I’ve used this message I’ve tweaked it so that it is relevant to the particular congregation I’m in front of.  I find that each time I’ve delivered it, instead of being bored by it; I’ve learned something new or had a new insight. 

There’s been several points in my life that I would not have been able to go forward had it not been for extreme faith that God is with me even in, especially in, the low points.  Having faith is not something that can be taught, it must be demonstrated and I was fortunate to be surrounded by people living faith filled lives during my formative years which provided this unseen foundation.
It is by living out our faith that we become an example to those around us.  What are you doing this week to demonstrate that you’re living a faith filled life?  What step of faith could you take right now that will take you out of your comfort zone and make you rely on God? While Hebrews 11 gives us several examples of big steps, leaps really, of faith (Abraham trekking towards the promised land without a map, Noah building a giant boat on dry land, Sarah believing she could bear a child while in her 90s, etc.) our steps don’t have to be that big – we just have to take one!  It could be as simple as picking up a volunteer shift here at Redeemer or as audacious as committing to going on a mission trip to Haiti. 

Comment on this blog with your step of faith so that we can inspire each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment