Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Doing life TOGETHER - by Kim Metzer


“I tend to be busier than I should be
And I tend to think that time is gonna wait for me
Sometimes I forget and take for granted
That it’s a beautiful life we live
I don’t wanna miss the moments like this
This is a beautiful life You give”

 
These words are the lyrics at the start of the song Every Good Thing by The Afters.  This song came on the radio last night as I was returning home from a small group meeting.  It struck me as I listened to it that oftentimes we forget what a beautiful world we live in.  It’s easy to forget when sometimes it seems like we’re only surrounded by the ugly things of the world; the illnesses, the despair, the stress, the injustice.

“There will be days that give me more than I can take
But I know that You always make beauty from my heartache
Don’t wanna forget or take for granted
That it’s a beautiful life we live
I’m not gonna miss the moments like this
This is a beautiful life You give”

As Rod preached back in February, God will often give us more than we can handle so that we learn to rely on Him, not ourselves.  When Moses was crying out because he became overwhelmed, God said to him, “Then I’ll descend and speak with you there. I’ll take some of the spirit that is on you and place it on them. Then they will carry the burden of the people with you so that you won’t bear it alone.” Numbers 11:17 CEB
God wants us to lean on each other as well as on Him.  He wants us to be in community together, to do life together in order to support one another in His name.

“It’s our family, it’s our friends
It’s the feeling that I get when I see my children smile
You’re the reason for this life, everything we love
It’s You alive in us
You’re alive in us”

At our small group meeting we had been talking about how we came to be as a group.  As we reminisced about how each of us ended up at Redeemer and how our group was formed it was amazing to see God’s hand in all of it, how He directed our paths so that we ended up in this small group, this LIFE group, together.  What started as a group of parents with teenagers has morphed into a group of empty nesters tackling TOGETHER each life stage as it comes.

 “You’re the reason for every good thing, every heartbeat
Every day we get to breathe
You’re the reason for anything that lasts, every second chance
Every laugh, life is so sweet
You’re the reason for every good thing, every good thing
Every good thing, every good thing…”

 
I would love to see each of you in a small group, to see each of you have a group of friends doing life TOGETHER.   If this is your desire as well, please contact me!

-Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment