Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Box of old letters - by Jack Hanneman

I recently had been cleaning out a closet in our basement when I ran across a box full of old letters. I reached in and picked one out. It had been a letter written to me from my grandfather (Lester Smalley 1917-1984). He had written this letter back in the late sixties. He was always good about writing, and as a child, receiving a letter in the mail was the equivalent to receiving a gift from Santa.

The letters were always inquires to how things were going in my life (i.e.) school, sports, hunting, and fishing. He would already know the answer to his inquires as he would call my mother frequently, but the letters were directed to me specifically as to garner a response. He would always send a tidbit of wisdom in his letters, something that would make you ponder for a moment. The letters were always warm and positive, meant to encourage and inspire a young mind. Each letter sent would always be accompanied by a single stick of Juicy Fruit Gum, and I generally wasted no time inserting that gum into my mouth as I read the letters.
The letters would come randomly throughout my adolescence and into my adulthood. After reading his letters I would always take a few moments to write back and let him know how things were going. As the years went on and my grandfather’s health started to wane, he was sent to the V. A. Hospital, he was suffering from stomach cancer and his time was short. I wrote him one last letter. Within that letter I thanked him for being an inspiration in my life and teaching me the value of relationships. And that those letters over the years had lifted me up during some of the most difficult times of my life. I told him that I was eternally grateful to have had such a wonderful grandfather as he was.

Those letters are a warm memory of a time long since passed, but filled with the joy of a wonderful relationship between a devoted loving grandfather and his grandson.
Perhaps this letter will inspire you to write a letter to someone whom you care about or haven’t kept up with over the years!

God Bless,
Jack Hanneman

No comments:

Post a Comment