Wednesday, March 25, 2015

An Innocent Bystander - by Susan Jensen

John 13:34-35

“I give you a new command: Love one another. Just as I have loved you, you must also love one another. By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”

How are my words representing the love and gratitude I have for Christ? If people see me, or better yet hear me, will they know that I am a disciple of Christ? Have you ever gotten that nagging feeling just after getting something off your chest? Maybe you felt your words were justified because you were with close friends, or maybe you felt it was okay since you at least waited until the person that irritated you couldn’t hear you. However the truth of the matter is, if you felt even a twinge of guilt about something you’ve just said, that guilt is telling you something. Quite honestly, if you’re a Christian, that twinge is the Holy Spirit challenging you to rethink your words.

So how are we doing, will an innocent bystander looking for hope know that we are Christians by our love for one another? Are my words speaking love that will bring others to Christ, or are my words dishonoring the one who gave His life for me? Take a 24 hour challenge, after each conversation, run the conversation through this one question filter. Would God be pleased with what I just said? It’s a simple challenge that can make an eternal difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment