Thursday, April 2, 2015

Expecting a Blessing - by Debby Kloosterman

I was raised in the Catholic Church.  (I know, that explains a lot!)  Worship in the Catholic Church was predictable.  It followed a definite order and was fairly routine with the same prayers and responsorial songs.  When I began attending a Protestant church, and came to know Jesus Christ more personally, I began to love attending church.  My mindset changed as I began to “expect a blessing”. 
 
The English language is a strange thing.  The same word can have many meanings.  For instance, the word “expect” is often used to indicate a sense of entitlement, like, “She expects that everyone will cater to her needs.”  However, the word also means to anticipate, as when you are expecting a baby.  You prepare and dream and generally look forward to that little person’s arrival.  That’s the usage that I am choosing.  The definition of the noun, “blessing”, is a favor or gift bestowed by God.  I am not entitled to God’s blessing.  I don’t deserve it, but He gives it because of who He is.

I absolutely look forward to God “gifting” me each week at Redeemer with a song, a message, a word of encouragement or even the sun beaming through the stained glass window.  How will God bless you this week?  Will you anticipate His blessing?  He won’t disappoint you!

No comments:

Post a Comment