Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Blessing Others - by Kim Metzer

So many thoughts running through my head this time of year… the dual themes of discipleship and fiscal responsibility/ stewardship collide.

Why is money so much on my mind during the Easter season?  It is on my mind partly because we’re also in the middle of “tax season” which culminates April 15 and partly because we have entered the weeks leading up to Redeemer’s Consecration Sunday on May 3.  You may be asking, so what does money have to do with discipleship and being a follower of Christ?

David S. Bell, President & Exec. Director of the United Methodist Foundation of Michigan explains it well using the parable of the woman with ten silver coins found in Luke 15:8-10:

“As one’s disposable income decreases, one’s desire and need to make prudent spending choices increases. However, many North Americans have fallen into the cultural pull of satisfying our perceived “needs.” In this self-indulgent society, we treat ourselves first. We are swept up in the enticing ideology of living for today. The more one becomes entangled in self-indulgence, the less one can maintain the biblical principles of saving and giving. Money ends up controlling people’s daily lives. Jesus reminds us that generous giving frees us from this bondage and opens the possibility for other pervading, God-honoring principles to direct our daily lives. When spare change is dropped in the offering plate, spiritual poverty supersedes economic poverty. 

Jesus offers hope for the spiritually impoverished. This hope is the gift of salvation offered to those who repent of their sins. God offers everyone, regardless of economic standing, the gifts of freedom, hope, and deliverance. Like the woman in this parable, we are called to treasure the gift of God’s grace so freely given to all. Generous giving is one example of living a lifestyle grounded in God-honoring principles. What do our habits with spare change suggest about our values, priorities, and commitment to God?”

8“Or suppose a woman has ten silver coins and loses one. Won’t she light a lamp and sweep the entire house and search carefully until she finds it? 9And when she finds it, she will call in her friends and neighbors and say, ‘Rejoice with me because I have found my lost coin.’ 10In the same way, there is joy in the presence of God’s angels when even one sinner repents.” Luke 15:8-10 NLT
DeWitt is often perceived to be an affluent community but not all of its residents fit that perception.  This community is also filled with those struggling to get by.  This is abundantly clear at our tax site on Tuesday nights.  Many of our clients depend on government allowed refundable tax credits to get by for the rest of the year.  I have volunteered with the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program for many years.  I firmly believe that generous giving consists not only in the giving of money but also of time and talents.  God has blessed me with the ability to understand the preparation of a tax return and it gives me great joy to share this blessing with others. 

My hope and prayer is that each of you will take the time during this season of renewal to thank God for your many blessings and find a way to use them to bless others.

7O God, I beg two favors from you;

let me have them before I die.

8First, help me never to tell a lie.

Second, give me neither poverty nor riches!

Give me just enough to satisfy my needs. Proverbs 30:7-8 NLT
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment