Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Change in Culture - by Diane Lantzy

Within the last year, I finally gave in and purchased a smart phone. It took me awhile to make that decision….not because I didn’t want one but because I thought I might like it a little too much (and wasn’t wild about the cost either J). The one thing that truly surprised me after I got my smart phone is how comfortable my 2 year old grandson is with it. He knows exactly how to find and browse pictures (funny, there are an awful lot of pictures of him on my phone) and he is able to find YouTube and play a Thomas the Train video. That is even more remarkable since his parents don’t often allow him access to smart phones or tablets (maybe his grandparents aren’t quite as strict.) That generation is being wired at an early age to be very comfortable with all sorts of technology.

But there are better reasons for me to have a smart phone then to play games or to have a multitude of pictures of my grandson at the ready. I have enjoyed exploring many apps that have the ability to improve my life. I have been using a health app that helps me to monitor my progress toward certain health goals, a medical app that helps me to keep my appointments and medical history handy, and Evernote which allows me to make and organize notes as I am thinking of them rather than writing thoughts down on scraps of paper and hoping I don’t lose them.
A wonderful new app that I just downloaded is the Redeemer App and it has already added value to my spiritual life. I can easily replay Pastor Rod’s messages for myself or allow a friend to listen to one I think they may find helpful and I can do this anytime - from just about anywhere. I can also quickly find out what is happening at Redeemer and find ways to get involved that will help strengthen my spiritual walk. I hope that Redeemer’s new app will also add value to your life. If you haven’t downloaded it yet, you can search DeWitt Redeemer at the ITunes or Google Play stores and download it for free!  As a special incentive to download Redeemer’s new app, anyone who stops into Pages & Prayers in June and shows the app on their phone, will receive a free item!

This app is not just a shiny new toy. As our culture changes we know that we need to adapt so that we can continue to be relevant – relevant to a generation that is being wired to relate through technology – and especially to those who do not yet know Christ as their Savior. We may often need to change the method though which we reach out but the message itself will never change – the Good News of the Gospel. If our app helps to ‘Connect People with the Love and Life of Jesus Christ” then it will be a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment