Monday, May 18, 2015

From Me to We - by Pastor Rod Kalajainen

“It’s not about you!”  These few words comprise the opening sentence in Rick Warren’s bestselling book, The Purpose Driven Life.  A simple phrase with a powerful message that for a season was the talk of the church world because it raised the perspective of a new culture that growing churches create.  It is the shift from a consumer culture that asks, ‘what can the church do for me,’ to a discipleship culture that asks, ‘what can I do for Jesus in the community and world.’"

After 37 years of ministry, I get frustrated when I hear statements like:  “I didn’t like the song we sang at church today.  It wasn’t one of my favorites.”  Or, “I didn’t get anything out of the Pastor’s message today.  It didn’t speak to my needs.” Or, “Why can’t the church offer more opportunities at a time that works for my family.”
In almost every church where I have been as a Pastor, Consultant or Coach I hear this sentiment expressed in similar words…because struggling churches are almost always focused inward and have a consumer culture where people ask…”What’s in it for me?”

I need to underscore a foundational fact: God’s goal is not to make sure we're happy. No matter how hard it is for us to believe this, it's time to do so. Life is not about our being comfortable and happy and successful and pain free. It's about becoming the man or woman God has called us to be. Unfortunately, we rarely hear that message proclaimed today. All the more reason for me to say it again: Life is not about you! It's about God.
We all have a purpose, a reason we are here on planet Earth, and that is what it is about. We are not here to be endlessly interested in our superficial selves and obsess over what we want, what we have and what other people think of us.

Rick Warren says, “The purpose of our life is far greater than our own personal fulfillment, our peace of mind, or even our happiness. It's far greater than our family, our career, or even our wildest dreams and ambitions. If we want to know why we were placed on this planet, we must begin with God. We were born by His purpose and for His purpose.”

“The search for the purpose of life has puzzled people for thousands of years. That's because we typically begin at the wrong starting point--ourselves. We ask self-centered questions like: What do I want to be? What should I do with my life? What are my goals, my ambitions, my dreams for my future? But focusing on ourselves will never reveal our life's purpose. The Bible says, "It is God who directs the lives of his creatures; everyone’s life is in His power.”

In the church, this is lived out in a new cultural mindset embodied in the phrase:  “what can I do for Jesus in the community and world.”  “I’ll do whatever it takes to help someone else come to know Jesus and live for Him.”  After all, it’s not about me!

No comments:

Post a Comment