Tuesday, June 23, 2015

A Man of His Word - by Debby Kloosterman

My father was not a believer. The alcohol and its long-range effects kept him from being the father and husband that he could have been.  He struggled with many demons including the trauma of his own childhood.  Even though he did not provide me with much of a model, God is good and put many other men in my life to teach me about His love.

My first husband, Pat, was as steady as a rock. He was to no one’s surprise, the complete opposite of my dad.  He was patient, consistent and not easily angered. He had a wonderful sense of humor which he shared with all three of his daughters. His death in 1984 forced me to grow up, take responsibility for my life and my children and face my own skeletons. He left me a legacy of knowing that I was loved and that I mattered to someone.

My first father-in-law was a marine. Charlie Bonner served in the Pacific during the World War II. He was fiercely protective and strongly patriotic. He loved his three sons and, by association, his three daughters-in-law. He was a wonderful “Barnabas”, always encouraging us and telling us that he believed in us. Throughout his 11 year battle with Lou Gehrig’s Disease (ALS), he taught us all about character. He modeled courage and selflessness.

My second father-in-law survived the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands and immigrated to the United States after the war. He was a man of strong faith and extensive Biblical knowledge. You didn’t want to play Bible Trivia with Hans Kloosterman!  Dad’s faith influenced everything he did. As the family gathered around the table with Dad’s oncologist, he affirmed, “Though He slay me, yet will I trust in Him.”

John, my husband of 29 years, is also a man of faith. We had long discussions before we married about where we would worship together. John came from a Reformed background and I from a Roman Catholic one. This was a decision vital to both of us and has led to great discussions on everything from Creation to salvation and more. Having a soulmate to love and laugh with is a blessing beyond compare! 

These men each have shown me a glimpse of what God is like. While different in their strengths, the biblical qualities they have possessed have inspired and challenged me to be a better person. Most of all, they have shown me a different meaning for the phrase, “He is a man of His word.”

No comments:

Post a Comment