Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Rock of Faith - by Suzie Unruh

On Sunday, May 24th during our 3 morning services we were joined by one of the missionary families that Redeemer Church supports, the Shephards. Steven, Kari Jo, and their 3 boys (Noah – age 11, Clay – age 8, and Cyrus – age 6) are just finishing their one-year home stay here in Michigan and will be returning to Nigeria this summer. We had the opportunity to offer up prayer for the Shephards and to hear their excitement for returning.

During this time in service I thought about Kari Jo and the strong faith she must have, as a mother taking her young children to another country where the threat of violence is present, malaria is a threat, English is not the first language, and chicken is a Christmas treat. This mother of these young boys knows God’s plan is so much bigger than anything they will encounter, that life in Nigeria will teach her boys so much more than I will ever be able to explain to my own children. I watched her stand up there and I wondered if I could do it, if my faith would be that strong to trust God fully or if fear and the unknown would be stronger.

I had the opportunity after service to talk to the boys, to hear their excitement about returning to Nigeria or as they would say, “their return home”. They are excited to see their friends, to check the mango trees in the yard, and to open the locked closet they stuffed with special items (like homemade swords) before they left. There wasn’t any fear, hesitation, or doubt. They know, just like their mother & father, that God is there, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and their faith is strong. Could I do it . . . I don’t know, but I know the Shephard boys inspire me to look at life for the joys and not the fear and that Kari Jo Shephard is a rock of faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment