Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Handprints - by Tammy Bowman

This first week of Christian Ed for the 2015/16 started off great! From 3 year olds joining a Christian Ed room for the very 1st time to the return of high school Christian Ed on Sunday morning, there was an exciting energy present throughout Redeemer United Methodist Church this past Sunday. One of the highlights for me each year is when we welcome new 5th graders into “youth ministry” in the BRIDGE 56 room. For the past 6 years, students and new leaders add their hand print to the wall as they enter 5th/6th grade ministry.

A few weeks ago, I found myself sitting on bean bags just looking over the handprint wall. I started looking at the names and thinking about all the students who have passed through that room. The oldest handprints are from students who are now seniors! My focus then turned to the numerous adult handprints who have served in BRIDGE 56 throughout the years and my eyes slowly began to fill with tears.  My thoughts turned into prayers for each person who has been a part of BRIDGE 56 and expanded to praying for the youth of Redeemer, past and present.  I went home thinking about what I had experienced in the BRIDGE 56 room that day; I was trying to put into words what I had been praying for and I was struggling. Then I began reading from 2 Corinthians and it all became clear. Paul’s final greeting to the church in Corinth was this, “May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, the Love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.”

This is what has been on my heart ever since. I pray that the students and leaders who are a part of any event, class, or serving opportunity here at Redeemer will continuously experience the grace of Jesus, the Love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment