Monday, December 21, 2015

Christmas Contentment - by Justin Bowman

As the Christmas season approaches, the usual items of stress and worry begin to creep into my brain.  I worry because Christmas is expensive, and I don’t have the financial resources to purchase all the items I would like to buy for the people in my life; I get a little stressed because amidst all the hustle and bustle of the holidays there are still bills to be paid and activities to attend.

A few weeks ago I had the thought: “why can’t people just be content during Christmas time?”  For me and my family, Christmas presents come down to what a person needs, or at least could feasibly use, more than it is about getting what they say they “want.”  Sure, we buy our kids an item or two they don’t know they’re getting, but mostly we get the items that can assist them as they go through their everyday lives.
Just like any parent out there, I would enjoy having the resources to be able to shower them with gifts, whether they needed them or not, because they are my children and I love seeing them happy.  However, I have learned that material items don’t always bring people happiness, regardless of their reaction to opening great unexpected Christmas gifts. 

The idea of contentment and showering people with presents simply do not go hand-in-hand.  So, I have decided this Christmas that I will choose to be content with the position in life that God currently has me in.  My corporate career may not be where I hoped I would be at this stage of my life, but nonetheless, it is God’s plan for me and I am thankful for His grace and blessings.

A Bible verse that has helped me understand the reality of contentment is Philippians 4:13: “I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.”  A lot of people will use this verse to help them overcome very difficult times, or to accomplish monumental physical feats.  I recall seeing it printed on the back of a runner’s shirt during an ultra-marathon I ran years ago.  However, the proper context of this verse is to practice contentment.  Verses 11 and 12 set the stage as told by Paul during one of the times he was imprisoned.  He is reminding us that when the world has us down, we can find strength in Jesus to get us through the tough times by being content with the place we are in.  He was drawing strength from the Lord to get him through a time of great struggle in his life, not to go out and conquer the world with impressive feats and accomplishments. 

While I understand I am not in a state of imprisonment, the truth is I am not in the position in my corporate career I thought I would be 15 years ago.  As I get older I have learned to accept the reality of my life situations, whatever they may be.  I struggle with contentment more often than I should, and this verse has helped me in that struggle.  My hope and prayer is that during this Christmas season, as well as the rest of the year, you too can take solace and be content with the position in life that Lord has placed you.  After all…it is part of His plan. 

God Bless, and Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment