Tuesday, March 22, 2016

His Blessings Flow to Us - by Diane Lantzy

Redeemer recently held our annual 180 Turnaround Conference.  This conference is aimed at helping struggling churches learn how to reach more people for Christ.  We had 75 different churches that attended with nearly 200 people in attendance.  It is a fun and energizing day!  During this conference, I teach a workshop on hospitality that encourages churches to be more welcoming toward their guests. I share my belief that we are to be welcoming to our guests for the sole reason that God asks us to be.  However, when a church is obedient to God’s will, it opens the door for good things to happen such as a more vibrant atmosphere and church growth.  I believe this same principle is true in our individual lives – when we are obedient to God’s will for us, it allows His blessings to flow to us.

This principle has played itself out in my life in various ways not the least of which is in my financial obedience. God expects us to give back to the local church a portion of what He has generously given us.  Initially, this was difficult for me.  It seems like there was never enough money to cover all the bills, or as Dave Ramsey would say – there was too much month left at the end of the money!  Money, or a lack thereof, always seemed to be a stressful area of life.  But one day, as I was putting my tightly held money (and not nearly a tithe J) into the offering plate, a feeling of joy and peace filled me that this gift was pleasing to God, I was doing the right thing and good things could come of this gift in ways I might never know.  It was at that point, that giving a tithe, or 10% of my income, became my goal.  This wasn’t always an easy path, money often seemed tight and my husband and I weren’t always on the same page.  But we increased our giving every year - one step at a time - until we reached that tithe.  Denny and I have been tithing for many years now and there is peace surrounding our finances that wasn’t there before.
Is being obedient to God always easy?  No.  Does being obedient to God make my life better?  Absolutely!  Funny how God makes these things work out.  J

Blessed are all who fear the Lord, who walk in obedience to him.  Psalm 128:1

No comments:

Post a Comment