Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Made Alive with Christ - by Susan Jensen

10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

If you’ve ever read through Ephesians, you’ve seen this verse. I’ve seen it many times throughout my life; I’ve probably even heard several sermons that referenced it (some even here at Redeemer UMC). One day a few weeks ago I came across this verse in a daily devotion in the NRSV (Newly Revised Standard Version) and the wording literally stopped me in my tracks.
10 For we are what He has made us, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand to be our way of life.

What a enlightening perspective. I’ve read that verse often before with the concept that God has prepared things for us to do if we would only pay attention and be willing to do them. But this time the interpretation of the words “to be our way of life” spoke straight to my heart in a refreshing way. Of course that is God’s wish for us… that His will would become our way of life. Not just a task we choose to cooperate with on occasion, but an everyday, every step “way of life”.
Where can you find this verse for yourself? It’s right where it should be in Ephesians Chapter 2 under the heading “Made Alive with Christ”. It is through responding to God’s will, and the example of Jesus that our ordinary, run-of-the-mill lives can be made alive with purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment