Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Prayer Changes Everything - by Susan Jensen

What does that really mean? Can we pray and ask God for anything we want and get it? No, God doesn’t give us everything we want like a big vending machine in the sky. He does what He chooses and He does what He know is best for us. There is also the factor of free will. God did not create us as robots, He gave us free will - the will to do what we choose, regardless of what He wants or knows to be the best for us. God allows free will; therefore, some things that happen are a result of that free will whether it was ours or the free will of another.

Some of you are aware that we lost my brother and father just a month apart from each other a few months back. Did I pray for my brother to live? Yes. Did he? No. I sadly accept the fact that even though my brother should have taken better care of himself, he didn’t. That was his free will, and his early death was in part a result of that. Did I pray for my father not to suffer through his trial of cancer? Yes. Did he suffer? Unfortunately, yes. My father did smoke for over 20 years, although not the last 30 of his life. He also worked in a profession that exposed him to asbestos for 30 years. Once again, his free will and free will in the world played a big factor.
So if I prayed, and these factors didn’t change, why did I pray? These weren’t the only factors. My prayers offered me and those around me peace, comfort, and strength that can only come from a loving God…a God who says, I know what it is like to see a loved one die, and He says My heart cries for yours.

My prayers and the prayers of others also made a difference for my brother and my dad. How comforting to know, that someone is remembering you before the God of the universe. Likewise, the prayers from faithful friends have helped my family through the toughest time we have ever had to face.
It has not been an easy year, but I know without a doubt, that my mother, sister and I have been blessed with a comfort that only comes from God. It still hurts, there are still tears, but I KNOW that prayer changes things. I have felt it. Most of all, I know that God will see us through and one day in heaven we will see Cliff and Dad again.

Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me!    Psalm 66:20
 
*Come here Pastor Rod’s message entitled “Prayer Changes Things” at Redeemer UMC, DeWitt, Michigan this coming Sunday and Monday as he continues our summer series exploring the faith of Abraham.

No comments:

Post a Comment