Monday, July 11, 2016

The Wind Beneath My Wings: A Lesson from the Birds - by Debby Kloosterman

A couple of weeks ago, John was out of town and I decided to go out to breakfast by myself.  After enjoying a delicious omelet with spinach and mushrooms (my nod to healthy eating), I exited the restaurant to begin the tasks of the day. 

Overhead in the blustery gray sky, large birds flew against the direction of the wind.  As I observed their flight I noticed that they did not continuously flap their wings.  In fact, they would flap four or five times and then coast.  The aerodynamic design of the birds allowed the wind beneath their wings to hold them in flight and support their forward movement with seemingly minimal effort.  This sight reminded me of the many times that God instructs me to rest in Him, to cast my cares upon Him, and to rely on Him to work things out.

Why do I spend all my time flapping, worrying and trying to control outcomes that are not mine to control?  Maybe I need to allow God to be my hero and hold me up in trying times and regular days as well.  As the song made famous by Bette Midler says:

Did you ever know that you're my hero
And everything I would like to be?
I can fly higher than an eagle
For you are the wind beneath my wings
The apostle Paul continually repeats this theme in 2 Corinthians and again in Philippians:


2 Corinthians 1:8-10New Living Translation (NLT)
We think you ought to know… about the trouble we went through in the province of Asia. We were crushed and overwhelmed beyond our ability to endure, and we thought we would never live through it. In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead. 10 And he did rescue us from mortal danger, and he will rescue us again. We have placed our confidence in him, and he will continue to rescue us.

Philippians 4:13
For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.

God is more than able.  I just need to allow Him to be the peace, the power and the hero He longs to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment