Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Retirement…The Next Stage of Life - by Kelvin Fizzell

At the completion of 41 years of teaching 4th grade in the DeWitt Public School system, my wife Sally has decided to retire. She has been spending the summer months, and I’m sure several months to come, deciding what’s next? Retirement is a big transition; to go from dedicating the majority of your life to something you are passionate about - - to finding your way into the next stage of life. It’s a change that will dramatically affect both of us. I “retired” from the corporate world at the end of 2007 and shortly thereafter accepted a position on the staff at Redeemer Church. Many people have assumed that I will join Sally in the retirement life stage, but I’m not ready (and I’m sure Sally isn’t either) for the "rocking chair".                                                                                                            

As we have talked about what lies ahead, we have looked at from a spiritual perspective. Although the term “retirement” is not mentioned in the Bible, if you google the question “What does the Bible say about retirement?” these verses from Psalms are one of many that are offered as a reference. Psalm 71:17-18 says,  “O God, you have taught me from my earliest childhood, And I constantly tell others about the wonderful things you do. Now that I am old and gray, Do not abandon me, O God. Let me proclaim your power to this new generation, Your mighty miracles to all who come after me.”
Though transition is sometimes hard, there are limitless ways to continue serving, even into “retirement” age. From the Christian perspective, volunteering your time, your skills, your prayers, and your resources at Redeemer Church is just one of those options. Age, physical limitations, or time do not have to prevent you from continuing a life of service…you simply have to be willing. As it says in Psalm 92:14, Even in old age they will still produce fruit: They will remain vital and green.

What lies ahead for Sally and me is still unknown, even some trial and error may come until we discover our “next big thing”. In the meantime, we will continue to pray and enjoy life together.

No comments:

Post a Comment