Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Social Media - by Rod Kalajainen

I understand the value of social media to enhance ministry in the 21st century.  Our staff utilizes several different on-line and social media tools to get our message out – to parents, teens, kids and the community.

I have a Facebook account and I check it periodically for messages and to keep up with news from family and friends.  I seldom post…it’s not my thing. And I read very few of the articles or watch the videos that others post.  I don’t have the time to commit to lengthy on-line sessions.  But there are some things that fascinate me about this communication tool.
The language that people use and the pictures they post interest me.  Have you noticed how often the words “awesome” or “amazing” are used?  It seems that everyone’s child, spouse, friend, neighbor, and dog is “amazing.”  Every activity, sport, project, and recipe is “awesome.”  It almost seems that nothing or no one is good or even ordinary anymore.  Instead, we’re all extraordinary!

I’m also intrigued by the “selfies” that people post and the continually changing personal photos that seem to invite responses such as “You’re so beautiful!”  “Very pretty!”
I’m currently reading a book called Narcissists Exposed by Drew Keys.  In it he talks about the narcissist’s constant need for excessive admiration.  And I wonder how Facebook and other social media contribute to this growing personality disorder.

Personally, I believe that despite all the positive benefits of social media, there are also some unique dangers. And one is the danger of falling into narcissism – of using Facebook, and other connecting services, to promote yourself and to expect that everyone is interested in you…essentially assuming you are the center of the universe.

I think it’s something many people do. Facebook, for a lot of adults, has become a place where they can remake their identity; make people think things about them or about others that aren’t necessarily true. Sometimes I wonder whether the intent of some people is ever to consider or encourage others...or just talk about themselves.

The Bible says to us in Philippians 2: 3-4:“Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others.  Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.”  How often do we use social media to promote ourselves rather than others?

Another of my concerns about social media is time wasting. Our society has this dying need to always be contactable; the thought of being disconnected is so strange. Not having phone reception can become catastrophic. How many times do you check Facebook in the morning before reading your Bible?

Third, I am convinced that social media also poses limitations on relationships. Written words can lack the meanings we intend; we can use it as an online space where we sort out our problems or where we can quickly share our opinions and gossip. Facebook has come to redefine what it means to be friends with someone. Now we distinguish between ‘friends’ and ‘Facebook friends’.  It’s important to remember how much more satisfying real face to face friendships are, and they should have priority.

However, social media is also a great gift, if used properly...if we use it to relate to people and share with them rather than to just report to ‘our audience’ things about ourselves.

“You are the light of the world – like a city on a hilltop that cannot be hidden. No one lights a lamp and then puts it under a basket. Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your good deeds shine out for all to see…”  Matthew 5:14-16

Social media can be used as a unique opportunity to live louder for God. So often the letters in the New Testament begin with verses like these: “Everytime I think of you, I give thanks to my God.  Whenever I pray, I make my requests for all of you with joy.” Philippians 1:3-4

Facebook could be a useful prayer tool, a means to see what people need prayer for. And not only praying for them but letting them know that they are remembered with joy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment